Netcare 911 has also suggested the following:
• There is not much that the average person can do about heavy rain falls or power failures affecting traffic lights, however the correct driving attitude can go a long way in preventing collisions or reducing the severity thereof.
• Where possible, we suggest that drivers plan their routes and leave early to try avoid the heavy traffic periods- this may also reduce the urge to rush.
• Many people are impatient because they are late due to the above mentioned conditions and may take unnecessary risks, we advise motorists to be extra cautious at faulty traffic lights and treat these intersections as four way stops.
• Remember that many other motorists are also stuck/delayed and may be using there cell phones and possibly not concentrating fully on the road, make sure other vehicles are stationary before you pull away from the four way stop.
• Turn your vehicles head lights on to make yourself more visible to other road users
Also view “Road Safety and Load Shedding”